Need Bullet3D for Nintendo DS

tukhrejul

Need Bullet3D for Nintendo DS

Post by tukhrejul »

Hi
I am a DS programmer. I like Bullet3D. Currently, I am working a 3D game. I want to use Bullet3D as a physics engine on DS game development. Please, notify wheather, I can use Bullet3D for this or not. If yes, then how?

Regards
Tukhrejul Inam Shamim
Programmer,
Kento Studios Ltd.
pico

Re: Need Bullet3D for Nintendo DS

Post by pico »

Hi,

i didn't tried but i'm sure you can compile it on the DS with Codewarrior without problems.
Take care to lower the initial memory settings in Bullet.
The performance will be a problem. All floating point maths will be (!)software emulated(!) on the DS!

Some infos you may find useful:
Our company used a custom made DS collision engine. It was not using any floats but fixed point math.
It only supported static/dynamic primitives but that was really enough for all our games (sphere,aabb,obb,cylinder,ray&sphere casts).

As broadphase we used a special 'single axis Sweep&Prune' algo. For the sweep&prune we didn't sorted each frame. Each moved object queried the before and after objects in the list and to see if they overlap or not and sorted itself into the right order (single bubble sort) while giving back overlapping objects. So the list was always sorted. As usually current body movements are in a particluar woldspace we cached the entries to find them faster next frame. For slow moving objects those queries were not done each frame but upto each 8th frame only.

On of our DS games (a 3d shmup) had >100 moving objects each frame and many thousands of static objects. Performance for collisions detection was around 5-6%. It supported mass driven dynamics with gravity, kinematic objects and character controllers.