Looking for demo videos, complex geometry

craig12345

Looking for demo videos, complex geometry

Post by craig12345 »

Does Bullet support non-convex geometry, without convex decomposition? Not just for static/passive environments, but for active rigid bodies. I don't mind if the simulation is not real-time.

I've seen the demo with the simplified Stanford bunny and the torus for a wheel, but I wasn't sure if that's just a rendering representation, and the collision geometry was a convex hull. Even so, nothing collides with the bunny. I found a lot of demo videos on youtube, but they all seem to be demonstrating large numbers of very simple convex objects, e.g. cubes. I had a look at Dynamica (this was a few months back however) and the non-convex mesh option was broken. (Actually the window appeared to be sized such that it wasn't visible, so I assumed it wasn't supported/implemented)

Thanks
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Looking for demo videos, complex geometry

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Although a concave btCompoundShape using convex decomposition is recommended in general, Bullet supports concave triangle meshes for both static non-moving and dynamic moving rigid bodies (and soft bodies). See for example Bullet/Demos/GimpactTestDemo or Bullet/Demos/MovingConcaveDemo.
Even so, nothing collides with the bunny.
? The concave torus and triangle mesh bunny should collide with any other collision shape (box, sphere, capsule, cylinder, convex mesh, concave mesh. Dynamica concave triangle meshes should work too.

Thanks,
Erwin