Collision shapes supported in BulletMultithreaded

Bbilz

Collision shapes supported in BulletMultithreaded

Post by Bbilz »

Hi,

Am I correct in thinking that btStaticPlaneShape is not supported in the SpuGatheringCollisionDispatcher?
I am a bit worried because we were hoping to quickly switch over our game to multithreading (for PS3 SPU support mainly) but without success at the moment. We also use GIMPACT objects in some places, will these cause problems as well?

Thanks!
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Collision shapes supported in BulletMultithreaded

Post by Erwin Coumans »

btStaticPlaneShape and btGimpact*Shape are not accelerated by BulletMultiThreaded, but it should fallback to main CPU.

Adding support for btStaticPlaneShape would be easy (please file request in google tracker), GIMPACT support is harder.

What kind of problems are you referring to? Is fallback to PPU/main CPU not working?
Thanks,
Erwin
Bbilz

Re: Collision shapes supported in BulletMultithreaded

Post by Bbilz »

I think so..
I am not so hot on SPU debugging but running using the Win32ThreadSupport on PC got it asserting that btStaticPlaneShape was not supported. I then replaced it with a box and that stopped it hanging. I think that the assert stopped the support thread and it all got stuck waiting for the task to finish.

So hopefully if i turn off asserts then it should just drop through to the PPU when it doesnt support the shape on the SPU? Thats perfect - the GIMPACT objects are rare and need to be phased out anyway :)

Thanks!