Help with physics for marble madness type game

lath

Help with physics for marble madness type game

Post by lath »

Hello,

I'm trying to make a game like marble madness. I'm having trouble getting the ball to react the way I want it to.

The player interacts with the ball by rotating the floor underneath it to make it roll. The main problem I'm having right now is that the ball keeps bouncing a lot. For example, the floor is a plane which is rotated around it's center point, if the ball is resting on the corner of the plane and the plane is rotated, even just a tiny bit, the ball will go flying in the air.

I'm guessing the way to fix this is to make the ball extremely heavy. What is the proper way to do this? I'm also thinking that scaling will come into play some how because the ball is rolling too slowly right now which I assume is because bullet thinks the ball is humongous.

I was hoping I could get some pointers on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Thanks.
sinoth

Re: Help with physics for marble madness type game

Post by sinoth »

What is the radius of your ball right now? Also, in another thread someone was having a similar problem and it was suggested that instead of rotating the floor, you rotate the gravity vector on the ball. If you wanted it to still look like you're moving the level itself, you'll have to rotate the camera manually. This should get the ball to roll without any hopping.
lath

Post by lath »

sinoth wrote:What is the radius of your ball right now?
I'm using a radius of 1 for the ball but I've tried scaling all the geometry to different ratios and nothing seemed to help.

I'll give that a try, rotating the gravity vector. Thanks.
lath

Post by lath »

Worked like a charm, thanks! Not sure why I didn't think of that, but I haven't worked with physics much in the past.