Collision detection plus very lightweight physics

martaaay

Collision detection plus very lightweight physics

Post by martaaay »

I'm new to bullet (found it through oolong). I'm in need of collision detection and this looks perfect for that. At the same time, I'd like some very basic physical behaviors. For instance, I dont want gravity calculations when I know the object is on the ground. I want the object to still angle on ramps, but I'd prefer that to be faked for CPU efficiency.

The other physics I want is reaction to explosions pushing on objects, but I can absolutely live with fake-ish physics there as well.

Does bullet have something like this? I'm trying to avoid paying the hefty cost of using the full dynamic simulator. I'm cool with the answer being "use the collision detection, but roll your own basic/fake physics".

Thanks!
Marty
sinoth

Re: Collision detection plus very lightweight physics

Post by sinoth »

Once objects are resting for a certain period of time (that you can specify) they 'sleep', which means they consume very little CPU. Your objects that touch the ground will do this. Also, you can tweak the friction so that objects will stay on ramps, and they will also 'sleep' once they stop moving. Objects are automatically woken up when they are touched.