the demos only work in Debug mode (VC++ Express 2008 SP1)

cbuchner1

the demos only work in Debug mode (VC++ Express 2008 SP1)

Post by cbuchner1 »

Hi,

I've built the Bullet version from SVN trunk using Visual C++ 2008 SP1. I used the supplied MSVC 8 project files which got converted to MSVC 9 automatically.

The physics demos work in Debug mode, but a little slow of course.

Next I switched to ReleaseDLL mode and the demos would not start, missing msvcr90.dll -
Huh, the VC 2008 SP1 runtime is definitely installed on the machine. Any known solution to this?

Then I tried regular Release build and all of the demos crashed immediately. Does Release build try to do some CPU specific magic? I am using two Athlon MP 2400+ dual processors here - quite old stuff, probably missing some of the Intel SSE features. For example, ReleaseBenchmarks.exe fails on this instruction - apparently not supported by Athlon MP:

movq mmword ptr [eax+60h], xmm0

How would I build Release mode without the SIMD optimizations? UPDATE: the double precision version did the trick.

Bullet seems like a nice match for what I intend to do - simulating lots of coins - because it has a working cylinder primitive that implements collision checks (unlike PhysX and ODE for example). And the promise of having CUDA acceleration soon is thrilling.

Christian