Problem with HingeConstraint limits

gabba

Problem with HingeConstraint limits

Post by gabba »

Hi,

It seems that HingeConstraint (and other constraints involving an angle limit) doesn't like at all limits that are near or above PI (i.e. 180 degrees).

I tested this in ConstraintDemo.cpp. This works:

Code: Select all

spDoorHinge->setLimit( 0.0f, M_PI_2 );
However this doesn't work at all: the door starts spinning like mad once it crosses the 180 degrees angle:

spDoorHinge->setLimit( -M_PI, -M_PI_2 );
this has the same problem:

spDoorHinge->setLimit( M_PI_2, M_PI );
I've found a workaround by inverting the axis:

btVector3 btAxisA( 0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f )
That allows me to define constraints in the quadrant that's otherwise problematic. But the workaround is unintuitive and complicates my code - you may want to consider it as a bug...

Is there a way to define the angular limits relative to the referential of the object, instead of having them be absolute/"relative to the world"? I'd like to be able to place a door (or pinball paddle, in my case) in any position without having to recalculate the limits every time.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm using Bullet 2.74
rponomarev

Re: Problem with HingeConstraint limits

Post by rponomarev »

Yes, there is a problem when angle limits are close to -PI or PI
We added an issue http://code.google.com/p/bullet/issues/detail?id=217 and will fix it in future.

As a workaround you could create a dummy static body (without mass and shape) and set hinge limits relative to its frame instead of using world coordinate system

Thanks for pointing on that,
Roman
gabba

Post by gabba »

rponomarev wrote: As a workaround you could create a dummy static body (without mass and shape) and set hinge limits relative to its frame instead of using world coordinate system
Would you mind pasting a few lines of code to give an example of setting hinge limits relative to the frame of another static body? While I understand what the axis and anchor do, I purposedly avoided using the methods that take a frame or frames as parameters, since I don't understand very well what frames are or do.
gabba

Post by gabba »

Bump.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

You could check out some of the constraint demos in the Bullet SDK. There should be some constraints using two constraint frames, frame in A and frame in B.

Hope this helps,
Erwin
gabba

Post by gabba »

Thanks. I still don't understand very much how to use the functions that use frameInA and frameInB as arguments, but the one that builds a HingeConstraint from an axis and pivot has a boolean that helps with this, and that I missed at first.