Collision Objects Behavingly Poorly - n00b

jjohn

Collision Objects Behavingly Poorly - n00b

Post by jjohn »

Hi,

I am a complete n00b. I am attempting to learn the basics while implementing a very simple physics simulation.

I have a concave mesh (like a small concave box) with an inner and outer set of faces. It is one complete mesh. The vertices have been molded into a unique 'catcher's mitt' shape.

I have an icosphere object that I have applied a few properties to. A 0.7 restitution, 0.3 damping, and 0.3 friction.

After z-fighting and rendering problems, I have scaled all objects to >0.5 dimensions. The small bowl/mitt object is set as a static triangle mesh collision shape.

I give the icosphere a linearVelocity in the x and y direction (to give it a small "throw"). I would like to see the simulation show the icosphere fall into the bowl/mitt shaped object, and contain it while bouncing around until it comes to a stop.

Instead I get the icosphere bouncing into the the 'mitt' and bouncing around a bit (with increasing energy), until it 'pokes' through the sides of the triangle mesh - and eventually springs out of the side of the mitt/bowl object.

I've been looking everywhere for simple fixes or things I'm overlooking. Any thoughts on where to begin? Thanks in advance.

Edit: My very next problem is that my physics simulation runs "like I'm on the moon". Not correct speed. I am assuming this can be adjusted by adjusting my stepSimulation variables? Am I correct in assuming that's the only "speed of simulation" issue...?

Edit2: Bump...
SynVis

Re: Collision Objects Behavingly Poorly - n00b

Post by SynVis »

The 'moon physics' issue is certainly related to your step call (remember that bullet wants time delta in seconds) or your gravity setting (if all your objects went from meters to centimeters, gravity needs to be set in centimeters as well).