Still having trouble with swept line vs point...

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
coderchris

Still having trouble with swept line vs point...

Post by coderchris »

Iv posted a couple times before on the subject of determining time of impact between a moving line and point. Im getting closer and closer to getting it right each time, but still not quite there yet. I have established that I need to use the following formula to determine time t with points along the line A, B and velocities U, V, along with the stationary point C;

Also there is my attempt at solving it. I handled the perp by simply expanding the dot product.
Using my coefficients, it works perfectly when it is linear (the a coefficient is 0); however as soon as it is quadratic, I get unexpected results; Maybe someone could try working this out or checking my work to make sure my coefficients to feed the quadratic solver are correct?

0 = [(B + tV) - (A + tU)] . perp[C - (A + tU)]
= t^2 * [UxVy - UxUy]
+ t^1 * [-CxVy + CxUy + AxVy + ByUx - AxUy - AyUx + CyVx - CyVx - CyUx - AyVx - BxUy + AyUx + AxUy]
+ t^0 * [-ByCx + AyCx + AxBy - AxAy + CyBx - AxCy - AyBx + AxAy]

I tmust be my a coefficient that is wrong because like i said when a is 0, I get the correct TOI

THanks,
Chris
raigan2

Re: Still having trouble with swept line vs point...

Post by raigan2 »

I'm afraid this may not be that helpful, as I'm solving it in a slightly different way.
Rather than using:
(C - (A + t*Av)) cross ((B + tBv) - (A + tAv)) = 0, t gives us parametric time of intersection

I do:
(C - (A + q*(B-A))) cross (vA + q*(vB-vA)) = 0, q gives us parametric point of intersection on seg AB

My quadratic is:

a = Dot( (B-A), Perp(vA-vB) )
b = Dot( vA, Perp(B-A) ) + Dot( (vA-vB), Perp(C-A) )
c = Dot( (C-A), Perp(vA) )

The code I copied this from works, but it's been almost a year since I touched it so I'm not sure why I did it this way.. also, in the above I seem to be using (vA-vB) rather than -(vB-vA), but again I'm not sure why.
coderchris

Post by coderchris »

Thanks for the help; I suppose I could do it that way also, but how can i get the time from the parametric position?

Edit:
Actually, I just got the TOI formula working; for some reason i had a wrong sign in my quadractic solver :shock:
Its always the simple things...

But I would still like to know how I can get the time from position; I feel like the position will be more usefull to me than the time

Thanks
raigan2

Post by raigan2 »

You can always use t to find q, or nice-versa.

If you know q, you can build a lineseg p0,p1 which sweeps out the path traced by the point of collision:
p0=(A + q*(B-A))
p1=(A+vA + q*(B+vB - (A+vA)))

You know C lies on this lineseg, so to find t you find the parametric position of C on p0,p1.

Similarly, if you know t but not q, you find the lineseg that describes the line at time t, and find the parametric position of C on that line.