Add Motors to Cone Twist Constraint

physicsgeek

Add Motors to Cone Twist Constraint

Post by physicsgeek »

Hello,

I am currently switching my project from ODE physics to Bullet. The main reason is Bullet seems to be in a more active state than ODE.
From what I have been experiencing until now it seems more stable as well (or at least default settings make it more stable by default).

Now the question I have: Is there any plan to add a "Motor" feature to the btConeTwistConstraint object that would allow to apply torques about the 3 axes independently to both attached Rigid Bodies?
If not there is probably already a way to do that... Or should I apply torques directly to the 2 Rigid Bodies withput taking any care of their ConeTwist Constraint.

Thank you.
projectileman

Re: Add Motors to Cone Twist Constraint

Post by projectileman »

Anything that currently you do with btConeTwistConstraint.h you can do it better with btGeneric6DofConstraint.

And the good new is that btGeneric6DofConstraint class has already motors in its 3 rotation axis.

btConeTwistConstraint class is just designed for simulating loose ragdolls only. If you want articulated robots, then use btGeneric6DofConstraint class for joints.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

The btConeTwistConstraint has motors, but you have to enable the 'obsolete' mode (check the code).

Eddy has some recent improvements and feedback on the btConeTwistConstraint, see also the discussion here:
http://www.bulletphysics.com/Bullet/php ... f=9&t=3505

As projectileman mentioned, you can also consider using the btGeneric6DofConstraint. Your mileage might vary with either.
Hope this helps,
Erwin
physicsgeek

Post by physicsgeek »

Thank you for your prompt answers. I will do some tests with the six degrees constraints. Apparently it's a more generic constraint ;)

Also I have notice that when linking three "bones" with the ConeTwist constraint there is a kind of "spring like" perpetual motion with specific constraint values...

For example CT1 and CT2 are ConeTwist with TwistSpan Constraint = 0.0f, SwingSpan1 = PI / 4, SwingSpan2 = 0.1f

Bone1 -CT1-> Bone2 -CT2-> Bone3

Bone2 and Bone3 don't stop shaking.
Is there any kind of damping force that can be added to the constraint to minimize this effect? I have tried using the setDamping function of the constraint itself but it does not help. I have also raised the damping effect of all my rigid bodies to 0.6f with no luck.
Thanks for your time.
projectileman

Post by projectileman »

With btGeneric6DofConstraint class you can handle that shaking problems easily.
Check at line 46:
http://code.google.com/p/bullet/source/ ... nstraint.h

The motors of btGeneric6DofConstraint already have parameters for damping and softness. You can configure them like in ODE, retrieving each motor per axis with the getRotationalLimitMotor() method.

I didn't have the need to use ConeTwist constrains since btGeneric6DofConstraint class does all what I want. What I know is that ConeTwist constrains are made JUST for ragdolls; they're just optimized for an special case of loose falling ragdolls where accuracy is not needed; a dead body could shake weirdly and players don't care about.