Small Documentation and Formatting Submission

Lost Era

Small Documentation and Formatting Submission

Post by Lost Era »

Firstly, I would like to thank Erwin Coumans and the rest of the community for such a well designed library. I'm still relatively new to Bullet (though, I have used other physics libraries) and very new to the forums, but I would like to offer a small token of my appreciation.

I have noticed that documentation is somewhat lacking (though it is on the TODO list) and coding style is a little inconsistent, so I have created a fully commented and formatted version of "btDynamicsWorld.h" available at:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ewghxkjfxz1

(I would've just posted a patch, but it was as big as the entire file.)

If this is something people are interested in, I would probably be willing to continue this task (consider this a sample). I would certainly like suggestions for better formatting and/or commenting. Comments as well as criticisms are welcome.

Also, please let me know if there are any mistakes in the documentation.

Thanks again for the great library.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Small Documentation and Formatting Submission

Post by Erwin Coumans »

It would be best to generate a patch against the very latest SVN version at bullet.googlecode.com

Can you add the patch to the issue tracker here?
http://code.google.com/p/bullet/issues/detail?id=42

Thanks for the effort!
Erwin
Lost Era

Re: Small Documentation and Formatting Submission

Post by Lost Era »

I have posted a patch (against the latest SVN) to the issue tracker as suggested.

I have also been continuing the task of formatting and commenting other files but have a few questions regarding preferred style.

1. In some files the practice of placing a tab (or 3) after the return type of a function is quite prevalent, while in others, it is not. Which is preferred?

2. In some cases, tabs are also used after argument types (but less commonly). What conventions should be followed regarding this usage?

3. Should spaces be placed after comment delimiters ("// Comment" vs. "//Comment") as both forms are present in existing code?

4. For Doxygen comments, are multi-line or single-line comments preferred (again, both are present in existing code)?

I am quite content to conform to your preferred style. I would just like clarification on what that style is. Thanks (and sorry if I'm asking useless questions).