Unable to Run Demos on 64bit Vista, No Compile/Link Errors

Peter5897

Unable to Run Demos on 64bit Vista, No Compile/Link Errors

Post by Peter5897 »

Hi,

I have heard many great things about Bullet and decided that I wanted to start playing around with the library tonight. I downloaded the 2.70 zip file and compiled the wksbullet project in both debug and release with no errors in MSVC 2008 Pro. When trying to run from MSVC the program appears to crash as soon as it calls glutMainLoop() with the error
Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in DebugAllBulletDemos.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Am I linking incorrectly with glut?

Whenever I try and run any of the .exe files directly from windows I also crash (I am able to see the console that states "Bullet version 270" though).

I am running on Vista Business 64 but I am compiling a win32 application so I don't believe there should be a problem there, I could be wrong.

I'm sure there is a simple explanation for my problems but I am having a tough time finding any solutions.

Thanks,
-Peter

*** EDIT ***

Well... it appears to work just fine on my laptop which has MSVC 8 and Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I am assuming the change in compilers did not do the trick and instead it's the 32 bit OS. This seems strange to me though as I use boost libraries (including the non header file only variety) and, if I recall correctly, they are meant to be used in a 32 bit environment.

The reason I assume the change in compilers did not change anything is because I have seen other posts where people say that the MSVC 8 soulution compiles fine in MSVC 9.
Peter5897

Re: Unable to Run Demos, No Compile/Link Errors

Post by Peter5897 »

Sorry to bump this after only one day but I figure that the problem I am having is a very simple one. I still can't find an answer so I'm considering looking in to other options such as havok or ageia or maybe creating my own physics engine. If someone could at least tell me if they have had success running Bullet on a Vista 64 operating system it would give me some faith that there is a solution to the problem and that I am not just spinning my wheels.

I decided to install MSVC 8 on my 64 bit operating system to make sure that the compiler was not causing the problem. After stepping through the code I was elated when I was able to call glutMainLoop() successfully as I was not able to with MSVC 9. I soon became depressed again once I crashed in SoftDemo.cpp line 207 with a call to glutSwapBuffers() and the same error.
Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in DebugAllBulletDemos.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
So I ask, has anyone had success running bullet on a 64 bit OS? I am compiling x86 code.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Run Demos, No Compile/Link Errors

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Bullet collision detection and rigid body dynamics have been used succesfully on 64 bit platforms.

This seems to be a Glut problem, Bullet ships with a precompiled 32bit-only glut.

One option is to try to get freeglut to work, it is included in Bullet. Or do some googling on 64bit glut32.dll replacements.
Hope this helps,
Erwin
Peter5897

Re: Unable to Run Demos on 64bit Vista, No Compile/Link Errors

Post by Peter5897 »

Thanks for the reply, I figured it was a glut problem since there didn't appear to be any errors with Bullet's code but I wanted a sanity check. I'm currently trying to integrate Bullet in to my engine that's built around DirectX for graphics so hopefully I will have some visual results by the end of the night.

Thanks again,
-Peter