Using Bullet 2.69 with VS2008 (v9)

cidex

Using Bullet 2.69 with VS2008 (v9)

Post by cidex »

Hello,

im trying to use the current version of bullet (2.69) with MS VS2008 C++ Express (= v9), but i cant even get the demos running. The prolem is that the linker can not resolve the external symbols, he can't find the sourcecode files/functions which are declared in the headers.
How can I tell VS that i want to include all the sourcecode files from the bullet-2.69\src directory into my project, without adding every single file per hand?
I have searched the projectproperties for an ently like "additional source" bur I haven't foung anything.
Are there other things I might haven't adjusted correctly?
cidex

Re: Using Bullet 2.69 with VS2008 (v9)

Post by cidex »

My aproach to add the source code files didn't work.
I get warnings that the bullet headers like "btContinuousDynamicsWorld.h" had been skipped while searching for precompiled headers. Followed by a fatal error that notifies me that the file-end was reached while searching for precompiled headers, it additionally mentions that i might have forgotten to include the line "#include "stdafx.h"".
What to do? Is there a tutorial for the use with VS2008, whats so different to 2005 anyway?
icuurd12b42

Post by icuurd12b42 »

This information is seriously lacking... I've been looking for an hour now for this information as well.

There should be a pinned topic on how to setup for VS2008, ming, dev-c++ and so forth. Right now, all my guess work have resulted in total failures.

Also, the API reference should also be pinned. I found a minimal document yesterday, don't ask me how, but I cant find it now.

I sure hope someone will give us a hand.
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

I need some serious help with this too.

I want to update to the newest version of bullet for a project but i cant even get the demo's of the latest version to link either!

a tutorial to get it up and running would be most appriciated.
Mowan259

Post by Mowan259 »

I'm using Bullet with VS9 and it's working fine. IIRC, there were no problems with it working out of the box. How are you guys setting things up? Are you trying to build solution and project files from scratch?

I just used the conversion tool to convert the VS8 wksbullet.sln file (in .\msvc\8) into a VS9 solution file. I don't think I had to do anything beyond that to get things working.

P.S. I'm running v2.68, though. I only responded because the mention of manually adding source files to the project seemed kinda strange. Oh yeah on that note, there is an easy way to add multiple files: Drag them from an Explorer window into the Solution Explorer.
cidex

Post by cidex »

Mowan259 is right,

here is what you've got to do:
1) get bullet-2.69.zip or bullet-2.68.zip (I've personally tried both), unzipp it
2) got to the directory msvc/8/ and drag the file named wksbullet.sln on the VS2008++ icon
(this gives the file as argument to VS, on my PC clicking on the .sln file doesn't initiate anything.
Yes the filetype association is right....)
3) follow the instructions of the conversion assistant of VS2008 (just click next...)
4)compile and you're done,
you'll get some warnings but nothing critical
icuurd12b42

Post by icuurd12b42 »

Ah, I did not see that sln file in the msvc/8 folder...

But you can't compile the individual demos. The linker will complain. Close the large solution and open appBasicDemo.vcproj... SOOL. Looks like the linker settings are not present in the individual files.

And there are no projects for the demos under the demos folder. I really wanted to see the Forklift demo.

I know the dev-c++ interface better, any tips on compiling under ming (dev-c++)?
Mowan259

Post by Mowan259 »

I usually just compile and run the individual demos from within wksbullet.sln. Haven't had any problems so far, but I haven't tried the forklift demo.

The user manual recommends working from wksbullet.sln, so I haven't strayed from that :D Can't help ya with ming/dev-c++ though, sorry :(
icuurd12b42

Post by icuurd12b42 »

Well, the info was enough to get me on track... I'll explore if compiling under dev-c++ is possible... I surely do hope so.
cidex

Post by cidex »

I've modified the demos a bit, but I can't get projects that i set up by myself to run?
Did someone do this before and would post hot to?
wuallen

Post by wuallen »

It is not so easy like you said. I use visual studio 2008 too. But when I compiled bullet 2.69, there was a error : can't find SpuConvexPenetrationDepthSolver.h, I find a file named SpuConvexPenetrationDepthSolver.h0000644, and I removed '0000644' , then it is compiled successfully.

the biggest problem of mine is when I use BOAGT_CONCAVE_GIMPACT_MESH object in the world, it becames very slow. Another problem of mine is that some demo examples didn't show anything, such as DebugCollisionDemo, DebugCollisionInterfaceDemo, DebugContinusConvexCollision and DebugDoublePrecisionDemo.

Is this situation normal or Is something wrong of my compiling process?
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

wuallen wrote:It is not so easy like you said. I use visual studio 2008 too. But when I compiled bullet 2.69, there was a error : can't find SpuConvexPenetrationDepthSolver.h, I find a file named SpuConvexPenetrationDepthSolver.h0000644, and I removed '0000644' , then it is compiled successfully.
This is very unusual. An unmodified Bullet visual studio solution should compile out-of-the-box without any error. Can you delete your Bullet source, download Bullet again, open the solution file and see if that helps? Just open Bullet/msvc/8/wksbullet.sln
the biggest problem of mine is when I use BOAGT_CONCAVE_GIMPACT_MESH object in the world, it becames very slow. Another problem of mine is that some demo examples didn't show anything, such as DebugCollisionDemo, DebugCollisionInterfaceDemo, DebugContinusConvexCollision and DebugDoublePrecisionDemo.
You should not need to use moving GIMPACT meshes, try to use simple btCompoundShapes instead, with basic primitives and convex hulls. Try reducing the number of triangles in a triangle mesh to improve performance.

Hope this helps,
Erwin
wuallen

Post by wuallen »

I download again, it is ok. I don't know why, may be I get some virus in my computer. But I can't solve the low performance issue. I get a demo program, it works very well, the FPS almost is beyond 200, but my program only get lower than 10 FPS. Some one say there is a patch for Bullet, I will try to find it. :)