Improving Bullet in a Google Summer of Code project?

Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Improving Bullet in a Google Summer of Code project?

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Are there any students interested in participating in a GSoC project, to improve Bullet?

There are a couple of ideas listed on this page.
http://code.google.com/p/bullet/wiki/BulletSOC2008

Thanks,
Erwin
entripon

Re: Improving Bullet in a Google Summer of Code project?

Post by entripon »

Hi; I might be interested in such a project. I'm currently finishing my junior year of college, and I have implemented a small 3D physics engine based on the Guendelman paper (using SAT for collision), with buoyancy based on Erin Catto's GPG6 article.

Are you looking for candidates with prior Bullet experience, or just students with a strong interest in game physics? I have never used Bullet before, but I have about a month free from the end of my spring semester to the official start of GSoC coding, and I could familiarize myself with the Bullet codebase in that time.

Also, are you looking primarily for proposals that cover multiple smaller features or a single large feature?

Thanks,
Shawn Silsbee
Student, DigiPen Institute of Technology
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

entripon wrote:Are you looking for candidates with prior Bullet experience, or just students with a strong interest in game physics?
We are looking for students with strong interest in game physics and willing to work with open source.
Also, are you looking primarily for proposals that cover multiple smaller features or a single large feature?
Adding SAT to Bullet would already be a very nice result for a Summer project. Any additional features are welcome too. Would that be something you like to work on, or do you have other ideas?

Even if Bullet isn't accepted as GSoC project, we can still persue this.
Thanks,
Erwin
Dragonlord

Post by Dragonlord »

When exactly are those "deadlines" for handing in such a project?
entripon

Post by entripon »

It seems Bullet didn't get accepted, sadly, but yeah, I might still be interested in such a project over the summer just for the experience. I'll play around with the Bullet source some more and try to come up with a project I'd like to tackle. Maybe the SAT implementation or the GJK exact contact manifold generation; I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Shawn Silsbee