MASSIVE slowdown upon collision

missingbrick

MASSIVE slowdown upon collision

Post by missingbrick »

Hi all,
I have been working off and on with bullet in a small game project for my school. Without getting into the details of the project too much, I have about 30 enemies, (I've tried simple collision boxes and spheres for their collision shapes) using bullet physics and the project runs fine until there is a collision. Upon collision the game may update every couple of seconds but for the most part, it freezes. I've spent some time mucking about through bullet, but I still can't be sure if it is the colliions themselves or something triggered by colliions, or, as is so often the case, something unrelated entirely...

If you need more details of my bullet configuration let me know, and I will go into more detail, but I'm pretty sure it's essentially like the tutorial builds. I'm not sure what I could be doing so wrong as to cause this, so any insight will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
mickey

Re: MASSIVE slowdown upon collision

Post by mickey »

Have you tried switching/using the release build see if it improves the performance (it should).

Otherwise, 30 collision shapes colliding in debug build should not slow your application down either. I have around 200+ collision shapes in my debug build and still my app would run at a reasonable frame rate.