Buckling simulation

yoavmil

Buckling simulation

Post by yoavmil »

Hi,
I have some 3D meshes which I need to perform some buckling simulation on them. These shapes are not solid, they are made of a semi-soft skin. The thing is they buckle, and I need to know that in advance.
Can I use bullet some how to analayze where may the objects buckle? And how?
BTW, I'm totaly new to Bullet.

Please advise.
benelot

Re: Buckling simulation

Post by benelot »

Hello yoavmil,

Welcome to the bullet forum! So you are basically trying to do a stability analysis of 3D meshes? Because where they buckle is where they are the weakest. You could do this using a soft body simulation, you can look into the example browser and check out how it reads in the bunny mesh and lets it bounce. However, it might be a hard thing to do if you are completely new, but have a try. We might be able to help you out.

Pretty sure that there is in fact software that does already what you want (Solidworks and the such need stability analysis, it might even be possible to be done with Blender, which provides you with the mesh loading capabilities as a surplus).

What kinds of shapes do you want to perform a buckling simulation on?
yoavmil

Post by yoavmil »

Thanks, benelot.
I'll look into the bunny mesh example.
Solidworks
costs alot, can't use it.
Blender
is a posibilty. probably uses Bullet inside anyways.
What kinds of shapes do you want to perform a buckling simulation on?
- Ant type!
benelot

Post by benelot »

Solidworks is expensive, you are right about this. Blender uses Bullet Physics inside, so that might be your option, especially to import meshes. The Bunny example and the other softbody examples might give you some insight on how to pursue your task further. If you find a good solution, please come back and explain. I am interested :)