do constrained objects collide?

catchyid

do constrained objects collide?

Post by catchyid »

hi, this is a very beginner question :) I am using bullet inside maya, and i am noticing that if two objects are constrained (e.g point constrained), they don't collide? when i remove the constraint, they collide as expected? is this a design thing in bullet or maya integration is doing something wrong?

thanks,
drleviathan

Re: do constrained objects collide?

Post by drleviathan »

In Bullet-2.82 the declaration of btDiscreteDynamicsWorld::addConstraint() looks like this:

Code: Select all

virtual void    addConstraint(btTypedConstraint* constraint, bool disableCollisionsBetweenLinkedBodies=false);
The second argument can be used to make the linked bodies collide or not, but it defaults to having the collisions enabled. Are you setting it to true?
catchyid

Re: do constrained objects collide?

Post by catchyid »

thanks for your reply. I did a quick search for the bullet integration plugin source code with maya and I could not find any, maybe I need to search more OR maybe autodesk does not provide the plugin source code... Anyways, just knowing about this flag exists is enough for me as I know now somehow it's being set by Maya, and BTW and I could not find a corresponding flag in Maya gui...

Once thanks for your help :)