Collision accuracy and computation time

vipinjs

Collision accuracy and computation time

Post by vipinjs »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to compute the collisions of two geometries (avatar and an object) using different data structures provided by Bullet.
Both these geometries are concave in nature.
I am using btCompoundShape and btGImpactMeshShape. These data structures provided different results in terms of accuracy and computation time.
btCompoundShape is accurate but the time taken is enormous on the other hand btGImpactMeshShape gave less accurate results but it was very efficient in computation time.
Please see the attached pictures.
Is there any way that I could get as accurate result as btCompundShape and as efficient as btGImpactMeshShape?
Any suggestions towards this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vipin
Attachments
btCompoundShape
btCompoundShape
5(1).jpg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 9324 times
btGImpactMeshShape
btGImpactMeshShape
5.jpg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 9324 times
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: Collision accuracy and computation time

Post by Erwin Coumans »

Are you using the latest version of Bullet in the github repository 'master' version at http://github.com/bulletphysics/bullet3? There are some compound shape optimizations there.

Otherwise, please provide some reproduction case (modified demo+data) so we can look at the performance issue(s).
Thanks,
Erwin
vipinjs

Re: Collision accuracy and computation time

Post by vipinjs »

Thanks Erwin for the reply,

Actually I am using the master version only. Is there any other data structures other than btGImpactMeshShape and btCompoundShape which can handle the concave geometry meshes?
How to do the optimization for the compound shapes as you mentioned?
Also is there any functionality which gives me only the status of the collision without computing the whole collision points for concave geometry meshes?
All of my meshes are in wavefront format.

Best Regards,
Vipin