Animated Mesh

KKlouzal

Animated Mesh

Post by KKlouzal »

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to handle an animated mesh in bullet. My mesh has been highly optimized down to 210 vertices and could probably still have a few more shaved off. The idea was during animation, every frame, or every other frame, extract the vertices and indices then update the bullet physics object so proper collisions/raytracing could be accomplished.

My question would be, does anyone have a better approach since I don't believe bullet supports loading a mesh with bones and manipulating the bones. Second, does bullet provide an object which you can directly update it's vertices and indices?
rebirth

Re: Animated Mesh

Post by rebirth »

I'm actually using bullet in my editor for mouse selections, and although it's very fast when selecting the meshes down to the triangle level, it is slow to recreate when moving meshes around (when I say slow, it may take a second or two to recreate a mesh of up to 20000 vertices on my CPU). Hopefully somebody with more experience with Bullet will help answer this, but as far as I know, triangle meshes have to remain static in Bullet.

I haven't really looked into it, but maybe version 3.0 can do something like this on the GPU?
KKlouzal

Re: Animated Mesh

Post by KKlouzal »

I assumed it would be slow with large vertex counts which is exactly why we've optimized the physics mesh down so much. I'm just not aware of which bullet object I can use to update with new vertices after animation occurs.