Generic6DoFContstraintVehicle

senoradam

Generic6DoFContstraintVehicle

Post by senoradam »

Hi!

I'm building a robot simulation using Bullet Physics, and I need to use rigid bodies for the wheels to get enough physical realism (raycast can't deal with slipping and variable terrain realistically). I've attached 4 rigidbody wheels to my suspension base via 6DoF joints with only the wheel rotation axis free (all others locked). The suspension base is then attached to a chassis rigidbody via 4 6DoF joints with only vertical translation limited (all others locked) to simulate suspension springs. This all works fine, except when I drive my vehicle (by applying torque to the wheels) every so often one or other of the wheels appears to lock inexplicably leading to very bad driving behaviour. I tried lowering and raising the wheel/chassis mass ratio, and varying the wheel friction; I've searched my model for the source of this error and cannot find a reason, can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks very much!

Adam
Xcoder77

Re: Generic6DoFContstraintVehicle

Post by Xcoder77 »

Try using Hinge Constraint for your wheels , and set the rotation by using Angular motors
senoradam

Re: Generic6DoFContstraintVehicle

Post by senoradam »

Hi,

my initial thought was to use hinge constraints, but then i had this behaviour where the wheels were not held in position correctly, i.e they were able to rotate slightly along the axis parallel to the direction of the cars movement.. see my highly scientific diagram (and imagine the full stops are spaces.):

---------------|.....---
...........................|-- /.../
_________________|... /__/

And in terms of using angular motors, do you mean the rotationalLimitMotors.setTargetVelocity() method?