Run simulation in the background

drazzar

Run simulation in the background

Post by drazzar »

Hi guys

I have a generic code (in MATLAB) which calls the Bullet Physics simulation to simulate evolved robots.
The "problem" is, that the code calculates x generations of 15 robots and for each robot (so x*15 in total) it opens the simulator for about 1second.
This causes the simulator to be opened every 1-2 seconds and thus every 1-2seconds I have a new window popping up, which makes it pretty hard to work on something else. Since the simulation-window gets opened (in lack of a better term) on top of the other opened windows I can't even type a single forum post while my computer is calculating/simulating.

So I was wondering if there existed any function (probably in GlutStuff.cpp) or if there was a way, with which I can tell the simulator to open the windows minimized or even not to open a window at all and still simulate the robots?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Cheers
Basroil

Re: Run simulation in the background

Post by Basroil »

This is less a Bullet issue and more a simple command-line program issue. You can try a dozen different things, from rewriting the program to run without a window, to calling a bat file from matlab instead. You can even just leave your simulation running all the time with a simulink/matlab handle that resets it to new starting parameters, though it'll require a bit of code that doesn't have any other use (but shouldn't affect performance).