building bullet as shared library - visual studio

robtherich

building bullet as shared library - visual studio

Post by robtherich »

hello.
after successfully building the necessary shared libraries and frameworks using xcode, i tried to do the same thing using visual studio. i quickly learned that gcc exports all public functions to a shared library by default, whereas visual studio does not, and requires a directive, or def file. bullet does not provide this def file, near as i can tell.

my question, has anyone successfully built bullet as a shared library using visual studio, and could direct me on the best way to make that happen?

many thanks for reading.
-rob
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Re: building bullet as shared library - visual studio

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I doubt it would work. Bullet was designed as static library, and I don't see any good reasons to install/use Bullet system wide. With each version, small changes will lead to different results, and each game/application using those shared libraries would suffer from changed behaviour.

Why can't you simply use static libraries?
Thanks,
Erwin
mareksieradzki

Re: building bullet as shared library - visual studio

Post by mareksieradzki »

There is one use case at least:
I'm building something using Haskell (GHC), OpenGL and Bullet on Win32. GHCi (interpreter) wants dynamic libraries. Being able to use interpreter mixed with compiled code (bullet bindings for instance) speeds up development/debugging/toying around.

I'm still checking if my last build crashed due to something specific to Bullet or GHC runtime. I manually added shared library option to cmake. I wonder if Bullet contains anything incompatible with relocatable code.

I'm not interested in distributing such DLL anywhere.