Physics Simulation Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bullet on XNA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 am 

Thx for the answer anthrax11.

Btw, soft bodies work? And cloths?

And it's possible to use it with XNA 4.0 (and so with VS2010)??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:37 am 

Yes, soft bodies work and XNA 4.0 and VS 2010 are supported. There's a separate release for .NET 4.0.

I have also got cloth working, but there seem to be some driver issues or something and it doesn't seem to work all of the time. Bullet's GPU branch is being worked on though, so I'm keeping an eye on it to see what I might be doing wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 am 

anthrax11 wrote:
Yes, soft bodies work and XNA 4.0 and VS 2010 are supported. There's a separate release for .NET 4.0.

I have also got cloth working, but there seem to be some driver issues or something and it doesn't seem to work all of the time. Bullet's GPU branch is being worked on though, so I'm keeping an eye on it to see what I might be doing wrong.

Cool, i will try it =D

Thx for the help, if any news come out for cloths, let me know please.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 pm 

Btw, anthrax11, i was seeing your demos and one question show up.
Sorry if it's a silly question but i never worked before with bullet so i don't understand if this is bullet's problem or something.

For models in XNA, and using them in bullet, i need to have vertices and indeces? I saw, for example, bunny meshes, and you define them as vertices and indeces. Any model i want to use with bulletsharp is defined this way?

My question is, i want to use some models i have in blender and so i could export them as .fbx and import them in XNA. Can I in anyway use these models in bulletsharp?

Hope you can help,
Viperboy.

Edit: Sorry, i already saw that is possible to import .bullet files (as in bullet is) but i want to know how i can export from bullet those files? I already google it and i found out the "patch -p0 < blabla.patch" for making blender able to export them, but i was not able to do it. Can you explain me how i can export .bullet files?
And what data those files have?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 pm 

Yeah, if you can load your model to an XNA Model object, then I imagine you could access the IndexBuffers and VertexBuffers, read the floats and remove things like normals and texture coordinates from the vertex stream and feed those ints and floats to the TriangleIndexVertexArray.

For loading .bullet files, check the SerializeDemo for SlimDX.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:08 pm 

My question is, do you know how to export from blender .bullet files? I try and try, but i'm not capable :S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:25 pm 

Speaking of a managed version of Bullet I've finally got round to putting the one I'd been tinkering with up on google code :

http://code.google.com/p/bullet-xna/

It's based on 2.76 with a few fixes from 2.77. It's missing Softbody and Serialisation support at the moment. It does work on the pc and the xbox, using XNA 4.0.

Would be happy to get any feedback / issues etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:33 pm 

Awesome! I'll try it and see if I can contribute something, maybe even softbodies.

I wonder if there is any reasonable way to make this compatible with other libraries like OpentTK since a fully managed Bullet would be very appealing to Linux/Mono/OpenGL developers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am 

Just a FYI, it seems to work with monoxna if you hack out the XNA references in the csproj files.
http://code.google.com/p/monoxna/
Mind you, I compiled a 'lite' version monoxna with just the classes needed for bullet-xna.

I've put in a few bug reports on the google code page.

Issue 1:Collision with the HeightfieldTerrainShape and CapsuleShapeZ objects never clears,

Issue 2:Missing GImpactMeshShape and GImpactCollisionAlgorithm,

Issue 3:CollisionObject missing function "Vector3 GetInterpolationLinearVelocity(void)"

I also supplied a patch to issue 3.

(FYI)I wrote an Object Oriented C# binding to the native bullet ages ago based on the bullet API that had most things implemented but it was extremely tough to use in C# because it implemented IDisposable. I'm using the programs that I wrote with that to compare against BulletXNA.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 am 

Who is currently coordinating the development of the managed version of the C# version of Bullet PE. Do to my need and love of the engine, I would like to invest my time bringing this project back to life. Please contact me if you would like to collaborate.