Hello World example crashes

lickstab

Hello World example crashes

Post by lickstab »

UPDATE:
i tried compiling 2.69 with the same setup and it doesn't crash, it works. what gives? is 2.73 incompatible with vs 2008? and, will i miss any important new features by using this older version?

----

hello all.
i have a bit of trouble with bullet..
basically, when i try to add a rigid body, it crashes.
i've tried both writing my own code and using the exact one from the hello world example on the wiki, but i always get this:

Unhandled exception at 0x004a7a2d in cupcake.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x5b845c33.

the 'reading location' number is always that same one.
the debugger points to the end of the function void btDiscreteDynamicsWorld::addRigidBody(btRigidBody* body)
when i do dynamicsWorld->addRigidBody(fallRigidBody);

i compiled bullet 2.73 using visual c++ express 2008, from the vs8 project files (auto-converted to vs9), and i'm using that to compile the programs too. the demos that come with bullet, however, do not crash even though i compiled them myself too..

i'm running winxp 32-bit. if anyone could shed some light on this, i'd appreciate that very much.
thanks.
sparkprime

Re: Hello World example crashes

Post by sparkprime »

I had no problems with 2.73, vc++2008 and xp pro 32bit
lickstab

Post by lickstab »

well, in case anyone else happens to come across this problem..

it happened when i used bullet together with irrlicht.
when using ogre instead, it does not crash.

some kind of incompatability?
sparkprime

Post by sparkprime »

probably one of the myriad of irritating msvc compiler options wasn't right
lickstab

Post by lickstab »

actually, i tried compiling the hello world on a completely clean windows + visual studio installation and it still crashes in the same spot, with the same error.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

You might be compiling the wrong Hello World.

This updated Irrlicht 1.5, Bullet 2.74 test works just fine.

Hope this helps,
Erwin
lickstab

Post by lickstab »

well, i was trying this example: http://www.bulletphysics.com/mediawiki- ... ello_World
with 2.74, it still crashes, but i made a new project using the code from the irrtest (which works for me), minus the irrlicht code, and that runs too.

however, when i try to place RigidBody objects inside a class and adding arbitrary numbers of them to the world, it starts crashing.
basically it goes like this, when i try to add new RigidBody-s to the world:
- sometimes it works.
- sometimes it crashes.
for a while it would crash after adding 3 of them, now it's after i add 11 or 12, ... i just don't get it.

the worst part is that i copied this new code directly from irrtest, which works, while my program crashes.
i'm linking to the same runtime library, creating the world and the bodies using the same code..

i think i'll just give up. or go back to 2.69, which doesn't completely work for me either, only with some workarounds (it crashes when i try to delete a RigidBody, it won't work together with ogre in debug mode, only release..)

i might add that i'm using vc9 (2008), in case that matters.
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

What is the full call stack at the crash?

Can you share your crashing project?
Thanks,
Erwin
lickstab

Post by lickstab »

here, i tried to make a miniature project which displays this crashing behaviour.
right now i'm using 2.73, however, with 2.74 earlier i was getting the same kinds of errors.

Code: Select all

// linker options
#pragma comment(linker, "/NODEFAULTLIB:LIBCMTD")
#pragma comment(lib, "libbulletcollision_d.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "libbulletdynamics_d.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "libbulletmath_d.lib")

// includes
#include <btBulletCollisionCommon.h>
#include <btBulletDynamicsCommon.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <list>

using namespace std;

btDiscreteDynamicsWorld *World;

// represents a hypothetical game object
class thing
{
public:
	btRigidBody* RigidBody;
	thing(btVector3 TPosition)
	{
		// Set the initial position of the object
		btTransform Transform;
		Transform.setIdentity();
		Transform.setOrigin(TPosition);

btDefaultMotionState *MotionState = new btDefaultMotionState(Transform);

// Create the shape
		btVector3 HalfExtents(5.0f,5.0f,5.0f);
		btCollisionShape *Shape = new btBoxShape(HalfExtents);

// Add mass
		btVector3 LocalInertia;
		Shape->calculateLocalInertia(10.0f, LocalInertia);

// Create the rigid body object
		RigidBody = new btRigidBody(10.0f, MotionState, Shape, LocalInertia);

// Add it to the world
		World->addRigidBody(RigidBody);
	}
};

// ******

list<thing*> things;

int main() {

cout << "Bullet Physics Library SDK Version " << btGetVersion() << "\n";

// Initialize bullet
	btDefaultCollisionConfiguration *CollisionConfiguration = new btDefaultCollisionConfiguration();
	btBroadphaseInterface *BroadPhase = new btAxisSweep3(btVector3(-1000, -1000, -1000), btVector3(1000, 1000, 1000));
	btCollisionDispatcher *Dispatcher = new btCollisionDispatcher(CollisionConfiguration);
	btSequentialImpulseConstraintSolver *Solver = new btSequentialImpulseConstraintSolver();
	World = new btDiscreteDynamicsWorld(Dispatcher, BroadPhase, Solver, CollisionConfiguration);

// add some objects
	cout << "* adding objects..\n";
	int NumObjects = 50;
	for(int i=0;i<NumObjects;i++)
	{
		thing* t = new thing(btVector3(0,20.0f * i,0));
		things.push_back(t);
	}

// step the world a bit
	cout << "* stepping";
	for(int i =0;i<200;i++)
	{
		cout << ".";
		World->stepSimulation(1.0f/60.0f, 10);
	}
	cout << "done.\n* cleaning up";

// clean up
	for(list<thing*>::iterator it=things.begin();it!=things.end();++it)
	{
		cout << ".";
		thing* t = *it;

World->removeRigidBody(t->RigidBody);
		delete t->RigidBody->getMotionState();
		delete t->RigidBody->getCollisionShape();
		delete t->RigidBody;
	}

delete World;
	delete Solver;
	delete Dispatcher;
	delete BroadPhase;
	delete CollisionConfiguration;

cout << "\ndone.";

// done
	return 0;
}
some notes:
besides the #pragmas at the top, i haven't changed any of the default settings in a new empty project in VS.

it only crashes after i've created a certain amount of objects, i didn't check the count now except that setting NumObjects to 1 doesn't crash, and 50 does crash.

it crashes in different ways depending on whether i compile as debug (linking with debug libs, as in the code above) or with release (with release libs).

in debug mode, everything seems to work (for once) except for deleting objects in the cleanup iterator, where it crashes with:

HEAP[btest.exe]: Heap block at 00037CD8 modified at 00037EE3 past requested size of 203
on line 31 of btAlignedAllocator.cpp.
deleting the MotionState works but when i try to delete the RigidBody, i get it.

in release mode, it crashes differently depending on if i use a list, a vector, or nothing to store the "thing" instances.
with a list, it crashes on line 93 (m_collisionObjects.push_back(... ) in btCollisionWorld.cpp with:

First-chance exception at 0x7c902c53 in btest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00037000.
First-chance exception at 0x00429826 in btest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000004.
Unhandled exception at 0x00429826 in btest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000004.
with a vector, it points to line 177 of btDbvtBroadphase.cpp (proxy->stage = m_stageCurrent) with:

First-chance exception at 0x7c902c53 in btest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x007f5000.
First-chance exception at 0x0040fc5b in btest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000003c.
Unhandled exception at 0x0040fc5b in btest.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000003c.
without storing the references, just creating a bunch of class instances, it points to line 454 of btDiscreteDynamicsWorld.cpp with:

HEAP[btest.exe]: Heap missing last entry in committed range near 372a8
am i just creating/storing my RigidBody references in an incorrect way? the messages seem to indicate that, but i'm not exactly an expert..
here's some lines from the call stack tab after one of the crashes:

>	btest.exe!btDiscreteDynamicsWorld::addRigidBody(btRigidBody * body=0x000372c0)  Line 454 + 0xb bytes	C++
 	btest.exe!thing::thing(btVector3 TPosition={...})  Line 45	C++
 	btest.exe!main()  Line 68 + 0x63 bytes	C++
 	btest.exe!___CxxFrameHandler3()  + 0xec bytes	C++
 	btest.exe!__SEH_epilog4()  + 0x13 bytes	Asm
 	kernel32.dll!7c839ac0()
xwipeoutx

Post by xwipeoutx »

Sorry if this is resurrecting a dead post, I'm at my wits end. Have you found an answer to this yet?

I posted a similar thread http://bulletphysics.com/Bullet/phpBB3/ ... php?t=3368 , which has more in depth information about my problems. I got that one working with a simple #define WIN32 (that surprised me, I was just doing random things...), but now it's coming up again when I'm trying to use BtOgre.

It breaks on a fairly simple line:

btTriangleMesh *trimesh = new btTriangleMesh();
(doing a _heapchk() after this line throw an error about corruption.

HEAP[TestOgreProject.exe]: Heap block at 043D9568 modified at 043D9654 past requested size of e3

Windows has triggered a breakpoint in TestOgreProject.exe.

This may be due to a corruption of the heap, and indicates a bug in TestOgreProject.exe or any of the DLLs it has loaded.
here's the stack trace:

ntdll.dll!7c90120e() 	
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for ntdll.dll]	
 	ntdll.dll!7c96c201() 	
 	ntdll.dll!7c95d454() 	
 	ntdll.dll!7c96bd1d() 	
 	ntdll.dll!7c96c956() 	
 	ntdll.dll!7c96039f() 	
 	msvcr80d.dll!malloc(unsigned int nSize=4128768)  Line 154 + 0x15 bytes	C++
 	kernel32.dll!7c85f8d7() 	
 	msvcr80d.dll!_heapchk()  Line 96 + 0x10 bytes	C
 	TestOgreProject.exe!BtOgre::VertexIndexToShape::createTrimesh()  Line 321	C++
>	TestOgreProject.exe!BtOgreTestApplication::createScene()  Line 186 + 0xb bytes	C++
 	TestOgreProject.exe!ExampleApplication::setup()  Line 140	C++
 	TestOgreProject.exe!ExampleApplication::go()  Line 89 + 0xd bytes	C++
 	TestOgreProject.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ * __formal=0x00000000, char * strCmdLine=0x00151f39, HINSTANCE__ * __formal=0x00000000)  Line 236 + 0x8 bytes	C++
 	TestOgreProject.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 589 + 0x35 bytes	C
 	TestOgreProject.exe!WinMainCRTStartup()  Line 414	C
 	kernel32.dll!7c817067()
From what I understand, btTriangleMesh overloads the new operator with a 16-bit aligned operator. What this means, I don't totally know (it basically allocates memory, rounding up to the nearest 16 bits, right?)...could there be a bug in here that causes it to sometimes round down instead of up in certain circumstances or something, thus overwriting the end of itself on allocation? I really don't know...I'm totally guessing here, this is over my head :P

EDIT: Ok, after some playing with the above sample code (from lickstab), I replicated the problem. After adding #define WIN32, I got the following error:

error C2719: 'TPosition': formal parameter with __declspec(align('16')) won't be aligned
So it turned out I was barking up the right tree with the attribute alignment stuff, but I lack understanding. Is there any doco on how the attribute alignment stuff works, so I can keep it mind when making my classes? What rules should I follow? My solution has now been to make sure I'm (pretty much) always dealing with pointers, as that seems to keep me out of trouble...
lickstab

Post by lickstab »

hmm, i'm afraid my "solution" was to stop using bullet and switch to newton (using ogrenewt). it works great.
sorry =/
killsto

Post by killsto »

I'm also having this same problem with MSVC++ 2008. Same hello world program also. I'll try an older version of Bullet.

Edit: 2.69 seems to work fine out of the box.
Anubis9

Post by Anubis9 »

Hello!
I've found the solution to this problem.
In order to make it work, just add "WIN32" (without quotes) to the Preprocessor Definitions in the Project Properties -> C/C++ -> Preprocessor.

Hope it helps! (It helped me at least).

Have no problems so far, but in case anything appears to go wrong, i guess a way to solve it, is just to check the difference between your project and the working demo projects supplied in the sdk. This is the way how i found the "win32" thing.
xwipeoutx wrote about win32 before, but my idea in the worst case scenario is searching for the differences in the project files.
Calder

Post by Calder »

I am at my wit's end over this one, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried the WIN32 define to no avail, and I'm really have no idea where to go from here. Please, if anyone could fix or even explain the issue, that would be amazing!

EDIT: If it makes a difference, I'm using a 64-bit processor...

EDIT2: Changing my function from

void setPosition (btVector3 pos);
to

void setPosition (const btVector3& pos);
did the trick!
Erwin Coumans
Site Admin

Post by Erwin Coumans »

I'm suprised that WIN32 isn't a built-in definition, or added by MSVC by default.

We should look into fixing this, or at least put it in the user manual.
Thanks,
Erwin