Best way to use collision mesh from a 3d model (.obj) file?

DrenDran

Best way to use collision mesh from a 3d model (.obj) file?

Post by DrenDran »

So in my game/engine I plan to load models up from triangulated wavefront .obj files. I have recently replaced my implementation of a loader with tinyobj loader. Anyway, any shape in the model that contains "COL" in its name is not rendered, but is instead turned into the object's collision mesh. This only really needs to be a cube, but the .obj file has all shapes as triangles that could possibly be other shapes.

Anyway, I thought using btBvhTriangleMeshShape would work well, since I used it for my heightmap. Well, I (the player object) can collide with them more or less (though even that's a bit off) but when I give them mass they fall right through my heightmap terrain! I also tried btConvexTriangleMeshShape but then collision stopped working entirely. What's the best way to have a bunch of triangles (that you know usually describe cubes) turned into a collision shape?
S1L3nCe

Re: Best way to use collision mesh from a 3d model (.obj) fi

Post by S1L3nCe »

Hi,

As described here in Meshes section : http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5. ... ion_Shapes
Best way for static mesh object is to use btBvhTriangleMeshShape (this is only for static object)
For dynamic object, btConvexHullShap.
And optionally btHeightfieldTerrainShape for your heightmap.