btConvexHullShape questions

Apollo

btConvexHullShape questions

Post by Apollo »

When an object with a convex hull shape is collided with, it seemingly behaves in the same way as a box would, such as sliding on the floor. Is there any way with a convex hull, or with another type of mesh shape to have the collider react as the actual shape would?

Thanks in advance
erbisme4@yahoo.com

Re: btConvexHullShape questions

Post by erbisme4@yahoo.com »

The point of a convex hull is to roughly approximate a mesh. If you are looking for more precise mesh collisions then I would consider using btGImpactMeshShape if your model is concave, or you could also use the HACD algorithm in bullet to generate a more accurate representation of your 3D model.
drleviathan

Post by drleviathan »

It is possible to provide accurate and inexpensive collision shapes of most concave meshes using a btCompoundShape with several btConvexHull subshapes.

To learn more about Bullet collision shapes you can watch this video.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

erbisme4@yahoo.com wrote:The point of a convex hull is to roughly approximate a mesh. If you are looking for more precise mesh collisions then I would consider using btGImpactMeshShape if your model is concave, or you could also use the HACD algorithm in bullet to generate a more accurate representation of your 3D model.
drleviathan wrote:It is possible to provide accurate and inexpensive collision shapes of most concave meshes using a btCompoundShape with several btConvexHull subshapes.

To learn more about Bullet collision shapes you can watch this video.
Thank you for the help! I tried the different methods mentioned, and the btConvexHull shape method worked really well. Thanks :)