Object on gravity: unwanted spin (OSG integration)

Dr. DOX

Object on gravity: unwanted spin (OSG integration)

Post by Dr. DOX »

hi ,

Sorry for noob question , I'm integrating Bullet in a project Which use OpenSceneGraph .

I'm starting with a simple test : a cube That Falls on a plane under gravity force . The cube has a btBoxShape .

The problem is the follow : the cube do not falls straight on Z (I 'm using right-hand Z UP convention ) but During the fall the cube spins around X and Y ( planars axis) . I'm expect the cube falls straight on Z with no spin . The cube starts with position and rotation zerowed , all ( 0,0,0 ) : I've checked the getWorldTransform and the position and rotation passed are ( 0,0,0 ) effectively . Printing the setWorldTransform I Can See That for some stepSimulation , position and rotation Calculated are ( 0,0,0 ) effectively , but after some cycles they drift and start to spin the cube .

I'm very noob on bullet , I'm pretty sure this is a naive problem . Can you give me some ideas ? The world is initialized with the impulseConstraint , no particulars custom parameters.

I'm not sure bullet using same right-handed convention but I don't know if it can be the problem.

Many thanks, Bye
benelot

Re: Object on gravity: unwanted spin (OSG integration)

Post by benelot »

In bullet, I believe that generally Y is considered up. However, it does not matter, since setting the gravity to (0,0,-9.81) causes gravity to apply in z axis direction. Look at the simple cube example in the example browser, it should provide you with a working example of your indended simulation. Also, I recommend to implement the debugdrawer for OpenSceneGraph which then provides you with a debugdrawing of your bullet world.
Dr. DOX

Post by Dr. DOX »

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't see relevant difference looking at BasicDemo. My world is initialized in same way and I've applied gravity on Z as you said (0,0,-9.81). Cube continue to spin....This is a very first part of quaternion logging, there are no others forces applied to the cube. As you can see it start well and then derives...
Attachments
log.txt
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
Dr. DOX

Post by Dr. DOX »

Interesting: in effect I have a difference. In my code, I've added explicitly the CollisionObject to the DiscreteDynamicWorld before adding RigidBody, using addCollisionObject. Something like this:

Code: Select all

m_dynamics_world->addCollisionObject(p_object->collision_object);
double l_mass = p_object->getMass();
DynamicsType l_type = p_object->getDynamicsType();    
PhyVector3 l_LocalInertia(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
PhyCollisionShape* l_PhyShape = p_object->getPhyShape();
if(l_type == DYNAMIC && l_PhyShape != NULL) {
      l_PhyShape->calculateLocalInertia(l_mass, l_LocalInertia);
}

PhyMotionState* l_MotionState = new PhyMotionState(p_object);
PhyRigidBody::btRigidBodyConstructionInfo l_ConstructionInfo(l_mass, l_MotionState, l_PhyShape, l_LocalInertia);

PhyRigidBody* l_PhyRigidBody = new PhyRigidBody(l_ConstructionInfo);

if(l_type == KINEMATIC) {
   l_PhyRigidBody->setCollisionFlags(l_PhyRigidBody->getCollisionFlags() | btCollisionObject::CF_KINEMATIC_OBJECT);    l_PhyRigidBody->setActivationState(DISABLE_DEACTIVATION);
}

m_dynamics_world->addRigidBody(l_PhyRigidBody);
Removing first line (m_dynamics_world->addCollisionObject(p_object->collision_object)) now the object go straight on Z under gravity, but when collide with a terrain there is a segmentation fault. Using first line, collisions works apparently well, but the spin problem come up....

0x00007ffff78b6034 in btHashedOverlappingPairCache::internalAddPair(btBroadphaseProxy*, btBroadphaseProxy*) () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
(gdb) bt
#0 0x00007ffff78b6034 in btHashedOverlappingPairCache::internalAddPair(btBroadphaseProxy*, btBroadphaseProxy*) () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
#1 0x00007ffff78b4482 in btDbvtTreeCollider::Process(btDbvtNode const*, btDbvtNode const*) () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
#2 0x00007ffff78ad304 in btDbvtBroadphase::setAabb(btBroadphaseProxy*, btVector3 const&, btVector3 const&, btDispatcher*) ()
from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
#3 0x00007ffff78be94a in btCollisionWorld::updateSingleAabb(btCollisionObject*) () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
#4 0x00007ffff78beb46 in btCollisionWorld::updateAabbs() () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
#5 0x00007ffff78bce84 in btCollisionWorld::performDiscreteCollisionDetection() () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
#6 0x00007ffff7893479 in btDiscreteDynamicsWorld::internalSingleStepSimulation(float) () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so
#7 0x00007ffff789367a in btDiscreteDynamicsWorld::stepSimulation(float, int, float) () from /usr/local/lib/libWorld.so