Walkable ship

Icare

Walkable ship

Post by Icare »

Hello,

I'm fairly new to bullet engine but after much research I haven't found an solution to my problem.

I would like to have walkable ships, by that I mean a ship rigidbody which can be controlled and moved (translation and rotation) on which other actors (rigidbody) can walk. However up to now I haven't found a way of making the actors inherit directly the transformation from the ship. Ie the ship is moving, moving everything else with it directly (maybe in a non physic way: if the ship is abruptly stopped, everything is stopped as opposed to inertia).

I've tested solutions with frictions with very unsatisfactory results : actors moving only when brought to a wall or stuttering of the different elements.

I thought this would be a quite standard problem but haven't found any real discussion about this.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Icare
drleviathan

Re: Walkable ship

Post by drleviathan »

I'm going to have to eventually solve this same problem. I've given it a little bit of thought but have not yet started.

My main idea right now is to run two distinct simulations: one for the "game level" (WorldA) and and one for the vehicle (WorldB). The vehicle body itself would be dynamic in WorldA but kinematic in WorldB, and the dynamic objects in WorldB would probably not have representations in WorldA (at least, not in the initial implementation). A custom MotionState would be used to harvest the dynamic motion of the vehicle in WorldA and convert it to kinematic for WorldB. The vehicle might rotate and translate a little bit in WorldB, but most of its non-inertial motion would actually show up as dynamic WorldB-wide perturbations to the gravity of the dynamic objects in WorldB.
benelot

Post by benelot »

I agree with drleviathan,

You do not want these physical effects between the actors and the ship? You want a system uninfluenced by the ship? Then simulate them separately. The only things you might want to transfer is the tilt of the ship, but everything else is not needed.
Icare

Post by Icare »

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I will investigate the different options to simulate on multiple level efficiently.