Please confirm this installation process for the libs

albenchers

Please confirm this installation process for the libs

Post by albenchers »

Hi folks! A lot of older build tutorials/information online appears to be outdated, including suggestions in this forum and elsewhere, so I want to confirm with you how I managed to build this library.

After blending together advice from a variety of online blogs, articles and SO questions, I *think* I managed to figure out the build process for iOS (or any other platform) but want some eyes to double-check this flow of steps. Some articles online made references to build scripts that no longer appear in the build/ directory of the download, so I had to research this awhile. Being a make/cmake/gmake novice, some of this is black magic to me.

1) First, in the build3/ directory I ran:

./premake_osx --ios gmake

Now, my first question is, that I did not explicitly specify the platform. What is the difference between what I ran above, and this:

./premake_osx --platform=iphone

Or do I need both flags?

2) Next, I entered the new gmake/ dir and ran make.

3) This appears to be all that was necessary to generate the bin/ dir with some .a files in them that I can link to. Did I miss any other obvious steps?

4) Now, the actual library binaries that this created are a bit confusing in their names. There were 34 of these .a binaries created, however my readings suggest that only 3 make up the actual library for purposes of linking to Bullet from a new app:

libBulletCollision
libBulletDynamics
libLinearMath

Are these in fact all that is necessary? If the answer is yes, then, I wonder why my directory also has libraries of the same names, but appended with a "3":

libBullet3Collision, etc

What is the difference between these, and what should I be using?

And what about libraries like libBullet3Common and libBullet3Geometry... that seems important, but I don't know.

Of course, in Xcode I will also add the src/ files as a header path and all that, but it was really the build process that I always find so confusing in these system programming environments :)

Much appreciate the assistance.