Interoperaility between Bullet Physics and Maya

Travis Banger

Interoperaility between Bullet Physics and Maya

Post by Travis Banger »

[Newbie alert]

While I was learning the principles of Maya, I just discovered this wonderful tool, Bullet Physics.

To what extent are Bullet Physics and Maya compatible and interoperable?

What I have in mind is to allow Maya do the "looks" which can achieve an incredible level of realism, while Bullet Physics is in charge of making sure that the constraints of Physics are respected.

What programming language(s) is used in Bullet?

TIA
catchyid

Re: Interoperaility between Bullet Physics and Maya

Post by catchyid »

Hi there :) I am still learning Maya and Bullet myself too. I am not sure I understand your question entirely about compatibility and interoperability, so I will just summarize my experience so far:

-Maya Bullet Plugin is implemented by Autodesk, so it's a closed source, which means you have to live with what they offer (I personally did not like some parameters they use as default values in simulation)

-Bullet itself is implemented in C/C++, however the plugin uses python to invoke Bullet commands. If you know Python then I think you easily understand how to invoke python commands yourself to customize Bullet

-I would highly suggest that you first try to implement your simulation with what the plugin offers (It has a rich set of graphical controls) and then decide if this suffices your needs. If not, then you could look at how Maya calls python to configure Bullet then write your own scripts.

Hope this helps :)