Can I set damping value for collided vertices?

apapaxionga

Can I set damping value for collided vertices?

Post by apapaxionga »

In deformable object simulation, I want to set large damping for the collided vertices only. How can I do that?
drleviathan

Re: Can I set damping value for collided vertices?

Post by drleviathan »

The easiest way to do this would be to modify the restitution and/or friction of the objects that are colliding.

The restitution is a coefficient in the range [0,1] that modifies the amount of kinetic energy that is preserved in the relative frame during impact and can be set on a per-object basis. A value of zero means all of the relative kinetic energy is absorbed (like a bean-bag) whereas a value of 1 means all of the kinetic energy is conserved (like a bouncy ball).

Note that if two objects collide and one has a restitution of 0 and the other has 1 then some combined or average restitution is used for that collision (I think -- I'm too lazy to look at the code this morning).

Friction is different -- it determines how slippery an object is during impact. It can affect damping of tangential kinetic energy during collisions but has more to do with forces than energy. I think friction can range from 0 (slippery) to values larger than 1 (sticky), but there is probably an upper limit to how large it can be set (since otherwise the simulation would become unstable).