How To Build Bullet

mcmonkey

How To Build Bullet

Post by mcmonkey »

This seems like a stupid question, yet I can't seem to figure it out, and google is little help.

I've tried:
mkdir build
cd build/
cmake ..
make -j4

based on a wiki page... all that does is give a ton of errors and fail to compile anything, regardless of whether I'm building bullet itself or a single demo or...
Can someone please link or post a step-by-step guide to building, on either Linux or Windows (I have both... currently trying to build on Linux cause that's usually easier.)

... also, it'd be nice if the devs included a nice little build.sh or something along those likes. Even a tried-and-true makefile would do.
Basroil

Re: How To Build Bullet

Post by Basroil »

mcmonkey wrote:This seems like a stupid question, yet I can't seem to figure it out, and google is little help.

I've tried:
mkdir build
cd build/
cmake ..
make -j4

based on a wiki page... all that does is give a ton of errors and fail to compile anything, regardless of whether I'm building bullet itself or a single demo or...
Can someone please link or post a step-by-step guide to building, on either Linux or Windows (I have both... currently trying to build on Linux cause that's usually easier.)

... also, it'd be nice if the devs included a nice little build.sh or something along those likes. Even a tried-and-true makefile would do.
There is a VS2010 solution file right in the build directory that is a one-click setup for building bullet demos. Make and premake are also available and instructions are posted within the user manual that's in the root directory, as well as at http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5. ... om_scratch (link contained in the wiki as well as user documentation).

On another note... If you put that build code you posted verbatim you'll have issues, since you're forgetting half the things needed to make it run (like setting a target generator, telling it to install, etc). You don't need makefile or a solution file to get bullet to compile, it just means you need to set your environment paths manually, which is easy enough though more time consuming than automated methods :wink: .
kato

Re: How To Build Bullet

Post by kato »

Thanks dude! I was getting a lot of problems with cmake-gui but this solved it all for me