Bullet Physics for a tracking pipeline

dim_tz

Bullet Physics for a tracking pipeline

Post by dim_tz »

I'm intending to add some physics in (visual) tracking pipeline.
Up to now I'm able to track in 3D bodies and objects based on visual cues, acquired from a camera, while there is a collision detection/penalization module using CGAL, so that meshes have a physically plausible position in space.
However, it might be that tracked objects "float" in the air, although successfully tracked, i.e. no bigger object or human hand needs to be in touch with them so that they are supported and don't fall (gravity is not modeled, so the result looks a bit funny some times).
I am using my own minimization framework in order to do pose estimation/tracking, so I would like to use Bullet in order to create a scene at every iteration of the minimization framework and get as output things like forces, friction, etc.

It should be doable, but this is not the mainstream use of Bullet, so there are no tutorials on this.
Could please somebody give a hint as to were I should look for useful methods, or if the above idea should be reformulated in a better way?
In the meantime I'm researching and experimenting with samples, but as said, most samples cover different needs.