how to simulate ABS material for 3D printing

Please don't post Bullet support questions here, use the above forums instead.
chenwk891

how to simulate ABS material for 3D printing

Post by chenwk891 »

Hi!

I'm trying to simulate the physical behavior of the printouts by 3D printer. Specifically, I designed a lockable hinge that when you snap it, it will be locked to certain shape. The models is fabricated using ABS plastic (suppose that I know all the parameters of the material). When you snap the hinge, part of the hinge (the connector) will have elastic deformation so that the connector will move from one position to another in order to make the hinge lock at some position.

Now my question is how to simulate the snapping of the hinge using bullet physics? How to simulate the ABS material when I have its parameters (such as its stiffness, elasticity)? And how to simulate the elastic deformation of ABS material?

I think I should use softbody for my purpose? And I found several parameters related to the stiffness such as m_kLST (linear stiffness coefficient), m_kVST(Angular stiffness coefficient), m_AST(Volume stiffness coefficient). The parameters range from 0 to 1. However, when I set all of them to 1, the resulting simulation still looks so soft (not behave like ABS plastics).

So could anyone give me some instructions? I will greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much!